- A town in the Upper Eden valley. Formerly in Westmorland,
but now part of Cumbria, it is an area less well known than
the Lake District, but equally appealing.
- A traditional market town of historic buildings, cobbled yards, quaint corners and
interesting shops that is surrounded by a landscape of
pastoral rural scenery and wild uplands.
- Walking is mainly
gentle hills but the higher moorland fells are close by.
- For anyone who just wants a stroll there's a pleasant walk of about 2 miles from the town to Frank's Bridge, then through fields and lanes to Hartley Fold and Hartley, then back to Frank's Bridge and into Kirkby Stephen.
- There is a Visitor Centre which is open 'till 4.
|Walk Details (to date)|
| || |
|A Walk||Frank Walker, 15 miles Moderate|
|The walk starts at Tebay. We head east along country lanes and field paths to New Biggin.
Turn north and go over Great Ewe Fell, Nettle Hill [that's never a good name for a hill], Grey Stones then down into Crosby Garrett where there is a church built on the site of an old Roman Fort.
Follow field paths and river bank to Smardale Hall and climb to the top of Smardale Fell where we meet the Coast to Coast path and follow it to Kirkby Stephen.
| || |
|B Walk||Trevor Whittaker, 10.5 miles Moderate|
| ||Off the coach at Ravenstonedale and over Smardale Bridge. Follow the disused railway to the viaducts and Smarsdale Hall. Then we return to Skandale Beck and loosely follow it to Soulby Mill on into the beautiful little village of Soulby.
Through the village and follow a track over the Eden to Beckfoot and then Winton. Finally, on to Hartley and over Frank's Bridge to Kirkby Stephen.
No guarantees but we may be treated to the flight of the red macaws and, again no guarantees, we shouldn't get lost this time.
| || |
|C Walk||Chris Thornley, 8 miles Moderate|
| ||Alight at Newbiggin-On-Lune. From there we take field paths and bridleways to Ravenstonedale. Then we take tracks and paths over Ash Fell with lovely views of the north Howgill Fells, Wild Boar Fell and Mallerstang Edge. We then drop down to Tommy Road and take a bridleway to Greengate, Bullgill and Wharton Hall. Continue to Nateby. Then down to Bollam Bridge and into Kirkby Stephen via Frank's Bridge.|
| || |
|D Walk||Paul Brown, 6.5 miles Moderate|
| ||We alight in Kirkby Stephen and walk down to Frank's Bridge to cross the river Eden. We walk to the lovely hamlet of Hartley, then follow the former Barnard Castle - Tebay railway for about a mile to see 2 impressive viaducts and the waterfalls at Stenkrith Bridge. We continue to Halfpenny House, Moor End, and Bullgill, then change direction to walk North past Wharton Hall to Nateby. From here we follow tracks and a riverside path to return to Kirkby Stephen. Quite a bit of history on this walk.|
| || |
|Morning (Outward) Pick-Up Points|
| || |
|Blackburn||08:10||Darwen : Boots Duckworth St|
|Blackburn||08:15||Darwen : Lynwood Avenue|
|Blackburn||08:20||Ewood : Aldi Bolton Road|
|Blackburn||08:25||Blackburn : Bus Station|
|Blackburn||08:30||Oswaldtwistle : Black Dog|
|Blackburn||08:35||Oswaldtwistle : Town Hall|
|Blackburn||08:45||Accrington : Peel / Infant St|
|Blackburn||08:50||Accrington : Victoria Hospital|
|Blackburn||09:00||Clayton : Hare and Hounds|
|Blackburn||09:05||Harwood : Nightingales Garage|
|Blackburn||09:10||Whalley : King Street|
|Blackburn||09:15||Clitheroe : York Street|
|Burnley||08:05||Nelson : Leeds Road|
|Burnley||08:10||Colne : Crown Hotel|
|Burnley||08:10||Colne : Library|
|Burnley||08:15||Colne : Alkincoates PO|
|Burnley||08:20||Barrowford : Heritage Centre|
|Burnley||08:30||Nelson : Bus Station|
|Burnley||08:35||Brierfield : Town Hall|
|Burnley||08:40||Burnley : Brennard Street|
|Burnley||08:45||Burnley : Bus Station|
|Burnley||08:45||Burnley : Tim Bobbin|
|Burnley||08:50||Padiham : Whitegates|
|Burnley||08:55||Padiham : Town Hall|
- Coaches to meet at Burton-in-Kendal services and then it's the A685 to Kirkby Stephen.
- A walk off at Tebay; Frank (Blackburn coach) will point out where.
- C walk off next at Newbiggin-on-Lune; Chris (Blackburn) will point out where.
- B walk off at Ravenstonedale; Trevor (Blackburn) will point out where.
- D walk is getting off in Kirkby Stephen.
- Coaches to park for free at the Auction (behind the main street) where everyone will be getting back on.