- Walking and Christmas shopping.
- Kendal itself is a bit of an odd town with architecture spanning more than 800
- It sits at a cross-roads between The Lakes, The Howgills, The Dales and the Lune Valley which gives our walk leaders so many options.
- Shopping options should be plentiful too!
|Walk Details (to date)|
| || |
|A Walk||Chris Thornley, 11 miles Moderate|
|Alight at Milnthorpe. From here we pick up the Cumbria Coastal Way. Follow it across Milnthorpe Marsh to the A6 and Levens Hall. Then we take a path to Levens village. Through the village to Middle Plantation. Then we take field paths to Sizergh Castle. Continue to Rash Spring and Brigsteer Road. Then onto Helsington Barrow, Scout Scar and Hodgson's Leap. Great views over the Lyth Valley to the lakeland fells if its clear. Then we drop down to Bradleyfield and into Kendal via Stainbank Green.|
| || |
|B Walk||Sue Baxendale, 10 miles Moderate|
|Alight from coach by Kendal college on A6 on outskirts of the town and then follow path by riverside from Romney Bridge to Scroggs Wood. Minor road to Heslington Laithes then across fields to High House and Brigsteer Lane. Short road walk to take track along Scout Scar, past viewpoint and on to Underbarrow Road. Then paths to Cunswick Scar and Gambleside Lane. Along past Cunswick Hall to Ash Wood, through Scar Wood to top of Cunswick Fell. Drop down through fields to cross A591 (footbrige) and follow paths round Helsfell Nab, through Kettlewell Crag and into Kendal. An undulating walk with no steep climbs but beautiful views (weather allowing) back towards the coast and the Lakeland Fells.|
| || |
|C Walk||No Walk, 0 miles N/A|
| || |
|D Walk||Paul Brown, 7.5 miles Moderate|
| ||We alight in Kendal town centre and walk uphill steadily for about 1½ miles in a NW direction passing Kettlewell Crag, crossing the A591 ( footbridge ), to reach Cunswick Scar. We then walk South along
the Scar, cross Underbarrow Road, then continue along Scout Scar to reach the viewpoint. From here there are panoramic views with mountains, hills and landmarks to pick out , quite spectacular if we get a clear day. We continue southwards, then change direction again to walk NE across Helsington Barrows to join Brigsteer Road, which takes us back into Kendal.
| || |
|Morning (Outward) Pick-Up Points|
| || |
|Blackburn||08:10||Darwen : Boots Duckworth St|
|Blackburn||08:15||Darwen : Lynwood Avenue|
|Blackburn||08:15||Ewood : Aldi Bolton Road|
|Blackburn||08:20||Blackburn : Bus Station|
|Blackburn||08:30||Oswaldtwistle : Black Dog|
|Blackburn||08:35||Oswaldtwistle : Town Hall|
|Blackburn||08:45||Accrington : Peel / Infant St|
|Blackburn||08:50||Accrington : Victoria Hospital|
|Blackburn||09:00||Clayton : Hare and Hounds|
|Blackburn||09:05||Harwood : Nightingales Garage|
|Blackburn||09:10||Whalley : King Street|
|Blackburn||09:15||Clitheroe : York Street|
|Burnley||08:05||Nelson : Leeds Road|
|Burnley||08:10||Colne : Crown Hotel|
|Burnley||08:10||Colne : Library|
|Burnley||08:15||Colne : Alkincoates PO|
|Burnley||08:20||Barrowford : Heritage Centre|
|Burnley||08:30||Nelson : Bus Station|
|Burnley||08:35||Brierfield : Town Hall|
|Burnley||08:40||Burnley : Brennard Street|
|Burnley||08:45||Burnley : Bus Station|
|Burnley||08:45||Burnley : Tim Bobbin|
|Burnley||08:50||Padiham : Whitegates|
|Burnley||08:55||Padiham : Town Hall|
|Evening (Return) Pick-Up Points|
| || |
|16:45||Kendal Leisure Centre|
- Coaches to meet at Forton / Lancaster services.
- A walk starting from A6 just south of Milnthorpe. Chris (Blackburn) will point out exactly where.
- B walk starting from A6 just into Kendal. Sue (Blackburn) will point out where.
- D walk starting from the Shapespear Inn, A6, in Kendal itself. Paul (Blackburn) will point out where.
- Coaches need to stop at the K Village bus stop on the A65 to be received before we can go on and park at the Leisure Centre a mile further south on the A65.
- People getting back on at the Leisure Centre (depart 16:45) with additional pick-up points north on the A6 by the Shakespear Inn (16:50) and back on the A65 at K Village at (16:55).
- Coaches to return via M6 or A65 at the Drivers' discretion.