- "Hawkshead is an ancient township that has flourished
since Norse times ... [it] is still the same tiny village of
higgledy-piggledy houses, archways, and squares beloved
by William Wordsworth and Beatrix Potter."
- Harvey will be leading the A walk; 14 miles, 1900 feet of ascent and
possibly some running to get back in time !
- Chris will be leading the B which,whilst not easy, will certainly not involve running. It's a 9 mile moderate walk to Tarn Hows starting from close close to Hawkshead.
- Paulís C walk will be a more leisurely 8 mile climbto Latterbarrow .
- Frank is leading the D; it will, like Chris's, be heading to Tarn Hows but at 6 miles will be an easier journey.
- For those that donít fancy the official walks or just want to explore by
themselves then we will be dropping off and collecting people from
Windermere, Ambleside and Hawkshead.
|Walk Details (to date)|
| || |
|A Walk||Harvey Thompson, 13.5 miles Moderate|
|Tarns, dubs, a water, two rivers and a splendid valley, all starting from Staveley. First we cross the River Eden as we climb to Potters Tarn. Next we pass Gurnal Dubs and Low Taggleshaw before we find Longsleddale Valley. We can fully appreciate this splendid valley as we go up it, following the River Sprint, to Stockdale Bridge. Our final climb, takes us onto Quarter Fell where we see Skeggles Water before descending to our start and pick-up point, at Staveley.|
| || |
|B Walk||Chris Thornley, 9 miles Moderate|
| ||Alight at Outgate near Hawkshead. Take field paths to Loanthwait Lane. Then onto Hawkshead Hall, Skinner How Lane and Knipe Fold. Then take a bridleway to Oxen Fell High Cross. Continue to Yew Tree Tarn and Glen Mary Bridge.Then onto Tarn Hows, Tenter Hill and Hawkshead Hill. Then into Hawkshead.|
| || |
|C Walk||Paul Brown, 7.5 miles Moderate|
| ||We alight at Hawkshead, walk along the road to Colthouse and Gillbank, before climbing fairly steeply (for less than Ĺ mile) to Latterbarrow for panoramic views of Lake Windermere and the mountains. Then we descend fairly steeply on paths and forest tracks to Belle Grange. From here we follow a good track alongside the lake to High Wray Bay and Wray Church, change direction to walk south past Blelham Tarn to Outgate, then follow field paths, country lanes and tracks to return to Hawkshead|
| || |
|D Walk||Frank Mason, 6 miles Moderate|
| ||Alight at Hawkshead and follow field paths to Keen Ground and Hawkshead Hill. Continue to Tenter Hill, then climb through the forestry area to reach Tarn Hows. We then have a pleasant walk on an undulating path around the lake, before returning to Hawkshead along a minor road, forest and field paths.
| || |
|Morning (Outward) Pick-Up Points|
| || |
|Blackburn||08:10||Darwen : Boots Duckworth St|
|Blackburn||08:15||Darwen : Lynwood Avenue|
|Blackburn||08:15||Ewood : Aldi Bolton Road|
|Blackburn||08:20||Blackburn : Bus Station|
|Blackburn||08:30||Oswaldtwistle : Black Dog|
|Blackburn||08:35||Oswaldtwistle : Town Hall|
|Blackburn||08:45||Accrington : Peel / Infant St|
|Blackburn||08:50||Accrington : Victoria Hospital|
|Blackburn||09:00||Clayton : Hare and Hounds|
|Blackburn||09:05||Harwood : Nightingales Garage|
|Blackburn||09:10||Whalley : King Street|
|Blackburn||09:15||Clitheroe : York Street|
|Burnley||08:05||Nelson : Leeds Road|
|Burnley||08:10||Colne : Crown Hotel|
|Burnley||08:10||Colne : Library|
|Burnley||08:15||Colne : Alkincoates PO|
|Burnley||08:20||Barrowford : Heritage Centre|
|Burnley||08:30||Nelson : Bus Station|
|Burnley||08:35||Brierfield : Town Hall|
|Burnley||08:40||Burnley : Brennard Street|
|Burnley||08:45||Burnley : Bus Station|
|Burnley||08:45||Burnley : Tim Bobbin|
|Burnley||08:50||Padiham : Whitegates|
|Burnley||08:55||Padiham : Town Hall|
- Burnley and Blackburn coach rendevous as usual at Burton-in-Kendal services
- "A" party are being picked up and dropped off in Staveley off the A591 - Harvey (Burnley coach) will direct.
- Remaining drop-off points are at A591 railway station Windermere (if required - no requests as yet), A5095 Lakeside car park Ambleside, B5286 road-side at Outgate and the main car park Hawkshead.
- Coaches to remain at Hawkshead car park were most will re-board and then pick up Ambleside, Windermere and Staveley. Back in East Lancs, Burnley coach to drop off at Padiham first and Blackburn to drop off at Darwen first.